Tuesday, May 6, 2014
LECTURER IN ZOOLOGY : Detailed Syllabus
LECTURER IN ZOOLOGY
(CATEGORY NO. 588/2012)
PART I: SYSTEMATICS AND EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY
• Basic concepts , Importance and applications
• Trends -Chemotaxonomy, Cytotaxonomy, Molecular taxonomy, Cladistics, Numerical
• Dimensions of speciation, Species concept, Theories of biological classification, Hierarchy
• Procedural keys- Taxonomic procedures- Collection, Preservation, Curating, Identification.
• Taxonomic keys- Merits and demerits; ICZN, Formation of scientific names of various taxa.
2. EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY
An outline of evolutionary theories: Darwinism, Lamarckism, Modern synthesis (not in
Origin of higher categories- Punctuated equilibrium- Macroevolution- Microevolution-
Coevolution-Founder principle- C-value paradox-Concept of molecular clock-
Cytochrome C- Haemoglobin-Histone.
PART II: PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY.
1. Nutrition and Digestion
• Types of nutrition
• Mechanism of Digestion , Absorption
• Gastro intestinal hormones
• Deficiency diseases of nutrients.
2. Circulatory Physiology
• Physiology of cardiac muscles
• cardiac cycle
• Electrical properties
• conducting system of heart
• Blood pressure
• Blood volume
• pressure control - integrated system.
3. Nerve Physiology
• Nerve action potential
• conduction of nerve impulse
• Synaptic transmission
4. Excretory physiology
5. Respiratory physiology
6. Muscle physiology
• Major Endocrine glands and their hormones and functions
• Mechanism of hormone action.
• Carbohydrates: Classification, Structure, Properties, Functions.
• Proteins: Classification, Structure, Properties, Functions.
• Lipids: Classification, Structure, Properties, functions.
Enzymes: Mechanism of enzyme action. Factors affecting enzyme action, Enzyme kinetics, Menton-
Michaelis kinetics, Substrate concentration, Enzyme inhibition and regulation, Isozyme, Coenzyme,
Metabolism of carbohydrate: Glycolysis, TCA cycle, Pentose phosphate pathway, Glycogenesis,
Glucogenesis, Gluconeogenesis, Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism.
Metabolism of protein: Deamination, Transamination,
Metabolism of Lipids: B oxidation, Synthesis of Fatty acid, Biosynthesis of
Energy metabolism: Oxidative metabolism, Oxidative phosphorylation,
Chemiosmotic theory .
PART III: MICROBIOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY
• Classification of Microorganisms- Berg's manual.
• Salient features of Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi, Protozoa, Algae.
• Bacterial Cell- Structure and function
• Bacterial Cell wall- Peptidoglycan, Gram's positive and Gram's negative, Mechanism of Gram's
• Bacterial culture media
• Growth curves
2. Industrial Microbiology: Fermentation.
• Types of immunity - Innate, Acquired, Passive, Active, Cell mediated.
• Cells of primary and secondary lymphoid organs.
• Cells and organs of immune system.
III. Immunogens [ Antigen]
• General properties- Structure and function, Variability and Diversity.
• Factors affecting antigenicity
• Epitopes and haptens
IV. Immunoglobulins [Antibodies]
• General properties- Structure and function
• Different classes- Ig A, IgD, IgE, IgM
• Variability and Diversity
• Monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies
V. Antigen Antibody interaction
Complement system- Classical pathway, Alternate, cell mediated and humoral reactions.
MHC genes, Auto-immune diseases.
CELL, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
Cell membrane- Structure and function.
Cell organelles with special reference to Mitochondria and Ribosomes
• Organization of eukaryotic genome, gene content and genomic size complexity of eukaryotic
genome, conserved exons and recombination
• DNA replication , Repair and Recombination
• Prokaryotic and eukaryotic DNA replication. Enzyme involved in replication. DNA damage and
• Transcription and RNA processing
• Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic transcription, Binding of transcription
complexes, Post -transcriptional processing .
• Translation- prokaryotic and eukaryotic gene expression, Translational machinery, mechanism of
initiation, elongation and termination, Post-translational modification of protein.
• Gene regulation mechanism in Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes
• Transcriptional signals-TATA, CAAT box, Enhancers.
• Gene closing
• Major steps in cloning, Isolation and purification of genes. • Vectors- properties of an ideal vector, different types [ plasmids, Ti plasmid, bacteriophages, cosmids,
phagemids, artificial chromosomes].
• Enzymes in gene cloning.
• Probes and molecular markers [RFLP, RAPD, AFLP].
• Homoploymer tailing, linkers and adapters.
B. Genetic engineering techniques.
1. Polymerase Chain reaction, DNA finger printing, Blotting techniques [Northern,
Southern, Western blottings, Dot blot, Slot blot].
2. DNA sequencing - Maxam-Gilbert method, Sanger-Coulson method. Chromosome
jumping, Genomic library and cDNA library, Site specific mutagenesis and gene targeting,
Human genome project, Human gene therapy, and other genome projects.
3. Transgenic animals.
PART V: GENETICS AND DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY
• Mendelian principles of genetics- Laws , Linkage, Crossing over, Mutation, DNA,
Types of DNA, RNA, Types of RNA.
• Lyon hypothesis.
• Syndromes- Klinefelter, Down, Turner.
• Genetic code.
II. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY
• Gametogenesis, Fertilization and early development - Cleavage, Blastulation,
• Experimental Embryology.
• Embryonic induction.
PART VI: ECOLOGY, ETHOLOGY , BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION AND
Definitions- Habit and habitat, Ecological niche, Ecosystem, Population ecology, Community ecology,
Ecological succession, Pollution, Global warming.
Learning behaviour, Communication behaviour, Motivation.
Biodiversity concept, status in India, Value, Loss and causes of loss.
Indices, Hot spots of Biodiversity.
In situ and Ex-situ conservation.
Mean, Median, Mode, Standard deviation; Graphical representation of data.
PART – VII RECENT TRENDS
BIOPHYSICS, BIOINFORMATICS AND COMPUTER APPLICATION
• Scanning electron microscope, Transmission electron microscope
• Electrophoresis- Gel, PAGE, Agarose, 2D- Immunoelectrophoresis, Fluorescent
• HPLC, Flow cytometry
• NMR spectroscopy- Mass, Plasma , Atomic
• X-ray diffraction
Proteomics, Genomics, Data bases - Primary and Secondary, Search engines.
Transgenic animals, Stem cell research, IPR, Carbon trading, Ecological foot printing, Treaties and protocols
related to climate change.
PART VIII Research Methodology/Teaching Aptitude
I. TEACHING APTITUDE
• Teaching: Nature, objectives, characteristics and basic requirements;
• Learner's characteristics;
• Factors affecting teaching;
• Methods of teaching;
• Teaching aids;
• Evaluation systems.
II. RESEARCH APTITUDE
• Research: Meaning, Characteristics and types;
• Steps of research;
• Methods of research;
• Research Ethics;
• Paper, article, workshop, seminar, conference and symposium;
• Thesis writing: its characteristics and format.
PART IX(a) Salient Features of Indian Constitution
Salient features of the Constitution - Preamble- Its significance and its place in the
interpretation of the Constitution.
Fundamental Rights - Directive Principles of State Policy - Relation between Fundamental
Rights and Directive Principles - Fundamental Duties.
Executive - Legislature - Judiciary - Both at Union and State Level. - Other Constitutional
Centre-State Relations - Legislative - Administrative and Financial.
Services under the Union and the States. Emergency Provisions.
Amendment Provisions of the Constitution.
PART IX(b) Social Welfare Legislations and Programmes
Social Service Legislations like Right to Information Act, Prevention of atrocities against
Women & Children, Food Security Act, Environmental Acts etc. and Social Welfare
Programmes like Employment Guarantee Programme, Organ and Blood Donation etc.
PART X(a) Renaissance in Kerala
TOWARDS A NEW SOCIETY
Introduction to English education - various missionary organisations and their functioning- founding
of educational institutions, factories.printing press etc.
EFFORTS TO REFORM THE SOCIETY
(A) Socio-Religious reform Movements
SNDP Yogam, Nair Service Society, Yogakshema Sabha, Sadhu Jana Paripalana Sangham, Vaala
Samudaya Parishkarani Sabha, Samathwa Samajam, Islam Dharma Paripalana Sangham, Prathyaksha
Raksha Daiva Sabha, Sahodara Prasthanam etc.
(B) Struggles and Social Revolts
Upper cloth revolts.Channar agitation, Vaikom Sathyagraha, Guruvayoor Sathyagraha, Paliyam
Sathyagraha. Kuttamkulam Sathyagraha, Temple Entry Proclamation, Temple Entry Act .Malyalee
Memorial, Ezhava Memorial etc.
Malabar riots, Civil Disobedience Movement, Abstention ovement etc.
ROLE OF PRESS IN RENAISSANCE
Malayalee, Swadeshabhimani, Vivekodayam, Mithavadi, Swaraj, Malayala Manorama, Bhashaposhini,
Mathnubhoomi, Kerala Kaumudi, Samadarsi, Kesari, AI-Ameen, Prabhatham, Yukthivadi, etc
AWAKENING THROUGH LITERATURE
Novel, Drama, Poetry, Purogamana Sahithya Prasthanam, Nataka Prashtanam, Library movement etc
WOMEN AND SOCIAL CHANGE
Parvathi Nenmenimangalam, Arya Pallam, A V Kuttimalu Amma, Lalitha Prabhu.Akkamma
Cheriyan, Anna Chandi, Lalithambika Antharjanam and others
LEADERS OF RENAISSANCE
Thycaud Ayya Vaikundar, Sree Narayana Guru, Ayyan Kali.Chattampi Swamikal, Brahmananda
Sivayogi, Vagbhadananda, Poikayil Yohannan(Kumara Guru) Dr Palpu, Palakkunnath Abraham
Malpan, Mampuram Thangal, Sahodaran Ayyappan, Pandit K P Karuppan, Pampadi John Joseph,
Mannathu Padmanabhan, V T Bhattathirippad, Vakkom Abdul Khadar Maulavi, Makthi Thangal,
Blessed Elias Kuriakose Chaavra, Barrister G P Pillai, TK Madhavan, Moorkoth Kumaran, C.
Krishnan, K P Kesava Menon, Dr.Ayyathan Gopalan, C V Kunjuraman, Kuroor Neelakantan
Namboothiripad, Velukkutty Arayan, K P Vellon, P K Chathan Master, K Kelappan, P. Krishna Pillai,
A K Gopalan, T R Krishnaswami Iyer, C Kesavan. Swami Ananda Theerthan , M C Joseph,
Kuttippuzha Krishnapillai and others
Kodungallur Kunhikkuttan Thampuran, KeralaVarma Valiyakoyi Thampuran, Kandathil Varghesc
Mappila. Kumaran Asan, Vallathol Narayana Menon, Ulloor S Parameswara Iyer, G Sankara Kurup,
Changampuzha Krishna Pillai, Chandu Menon, Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. Kesav Dev, Thakazhi
Sivasankara Pillai, Ponkunnam Varky, S K Pottakkad and others
PART X(b) General Knowledge and Current Affairs
General Knowledge and Current Affairs
NOTE: - It may be noted that apart from the topics detailed above, questions from
other topics prescribed for the educational qualification of the post may also
appear in the question paper. There is no undertaking that all the topics above
may be covered in the question paper.
Disclaimer : Blog Policies
This blog publishes various general knowledge. errors and omissions expected. The Knowledge documents in this blog meant only to increase the general of the readers. If any of the information available on this blog violates or infringes any of your copyright protection, leave a comment . This blog makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, correctness or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, or delays in this information. The information contained in this blog is subject to change without notice. You may use contents in this blog only for personal use. Reproduction and republishing of any contents from here to any other websites or blogs is strictly prohibited.