- Sania, currently ranked world number one in women's doubles, scripted history by becoming the first Indian to clinch a women's doubles Grand Slam when she partnered Swiss great Martina Hingis for the Wimbledon trophy earlier this year.
- Sania is only the second tennis player after Leander Paes to be named for the top award. Paes had been bestowed the honour way back in 1996 after his bronze medal in the Atlanta Olympics.
- The 28-year-old, who has won three mixed doubles Grand Slams in her career, beat competition from squash player Deepika Pallikal, discus thrower Vikas Gowda, track and field star Tintu Luka, rising shuttler P V Sindhu, and hockey captain Sardar Singh for the coveted honour.
- Sania's name was recommended by a Sports Ministry- constituted awards committee headed by Justice V K Bali, the retired Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court.
- The committee included eminent athletes such as Dola Banerjee, M M Somayya and Bhogeshwar Baruah and sports journalists apart from top officials of the Sports Ministry.
- It is learnt that the committee recommended 17 names for the Arjuna awards, including those of Jitu, Rohit, gymnast Dipa Karmakar, hockey player P R Sreejesh, wrestling duo of Bajrang and Babita, athlete M R Poovamma, shuttler K Srikanth and boxer Mandeep Jangra.
- The recommendations will now be sent to the Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, who will take a final decision.
- Only after the Sports Minister signs the file, the names would be made public. The awards are to be given away by the President Pranab Mukherjee on August 29, the National Sports Day.
- The Khel Ratna carries a prize money of Rs 7.5 lakh along with a citation, while the Arjuna awards come with a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh and a citation.
- Besides doing well on the professional circuit, Sania had also won the gold medal and the bronze medal in the mixed and women's doubles categories of the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea.
- The Hyderabadi girl had won the Arjuna award in 2004 and was the favourite for the top award this year. In 2006, she was bestowed the Padma Shri -- the country's fourth highest civillian honour.
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Sania Mirza Won Khel Ratna Award
Sania Mirza : Wonder Girl
Disclaimer : Blog Policies
This blog publishes various general knowledge. errors and omissions expected. The Knowledge documents in this blog meant only to increase the general of the readers. If any of the information available on this blog violates or infringes any of your copyright protection, leave a comment . This blog makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, correctness or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, or delays in this information. The information contained in this blog is subject to change without notice. You may use contents in this blog only for personal use. Reproduction and republishing of any contents from here to any other websites or blogs is strictly prohibited.